The Swamp Donkey Musical Theatre Society (“SDMTS”) is committed to safeguarding the personal information entrusted to us by our board of directors, committee members, members, employees, contractors, volunteers, instructors, students, participants, production team, cast, crew, audience members, and other partners (“Partners”). We collect, use, and disclose your personal information in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act (R.S.A. c. P-6.5) and other applicable laws. This policy outlines the principles and policies we follow to protect your personal information.
This policy applies to SDMTS and any person providing services on our behalf. A copy of this policy is provided to any Partner upon request.
2. Personal Information
What is Personal Information?:
Personal information means information about an identifiable individual. This includes information such as an individual’s name, home address, phone number, age, gender, financial information, etc.
We ask for consent, to collect, use, and disclose personal information. We will not ask you to consent to the collection, use, or disclosure of information beyond what is necessary to provide our products and services.
We may ask for your consent in writing or orally.
You may give consent to collect, use, and disclose your personal information subject to reasonable terms, conditions, or qualifications.
We do not obtain consent to collect, use, or disclose your personal information in the following specific circumstances:
- where you voluntarily provide us with your personal information and it is reasonable that you would do so (i.e. you provide contact information about an individual in order to enroll her in a musical theatre course);
- for a particular purpose if we provide you with notice of our intention to collect, use, or disclose the information and you do not, within a reasonable amount of time, decline or object;
- when the collection is in your interests, your consent cannot be obtained in a timely way, and you would not be reasonably expected to withhold your consent; and
- where collection, use, or disclosure is authorized or required by law.
We normally collect information directly from our Partners. We may collect your information from other individuals, businesses, or organizations with your consent or where authorized by law.
You may at any time vary or withdraw your consent to the collection, use, or disclosure of your personal information unless the personal information is necessary for SDMTS to fulfil its legal obligations. However, we may not be able to provide you with certain products and services if we do not have the necessary personal information.
4. Collection, Use, and Disclosure
Collection of Personal Information:
SDMTS only collects personal information for purposes that are reasonable and only to the extent that it is reasonable for meeting those purposes. For example, we collect personal information for the purpose of providing products and services, including personal information needed to:
- enroll individuals in programs such as courses, workshops, and musical theatre productions;
- deliver requested products and services such as courses, workshops, and event tickets; and
- send out membership information.
We advise our Partners, before or at the time of collecting personal information, of the purpose for which the information is collected. We also advise you of the title of the individual who can answer questions about the collection of information.
This notice may be provided orally or in writing.
We do not provide this notice in cases where you voluntarily provide us with personal information in circumstances where it is reasonable to do so (i.e. you provide your credit card information in order to purchase tickets to a musical theatre production).
Use of Personal Information:
SDMTS only uses personal information for purposes that are reasonable and only to the extent that it is reasonable for meeting those purposes.
Disclosure of Personal Information:
SDMTS only discloses personal information for purposes that are reasonable and only to the extent that is necessary to meet those purposes.
5. Personal Employee Information
Personal Employee Information:
We collect personal employee information about individuals who perform services for, in relation to, or in connection with SDMTS including partners, directors, officers, volunteers, participants, students, contractors, employees, and agents (collectively “Employees”). This information includes personal information about former, current, and potential Employees that is reasonably required by SDMTS for the purpose of:
- establishing, managing, or terminating an employment or volunteer-work relationship; or
- managing a post-employment or post volunteer-work relationship
between SDMTS and the Employee but does not include personal information about the individual that is unrelated to that relationship.
SDMTS collects, uses, and discloses personal employee information to meet purposes such as:
- Determining eligibility for employment and volunteer work, including verifying qualifications and references;
- Establishing training and development requirements;
- Assessing performance and managing performance issues if they arise;
- Complying with Swamp Donkey Musical Theatre Society policies;
- Complying with requirements of funding bodies (i.e. AGLC); and
- Complying with applicable laws (i.e. Alberta Employment Standards Code).
We collect, use, and disclose different types of personal employee information including:
- Contact information such as name, home address, telephone number, and email address;
- Criminal record and vulnerable sector checks;
- Employment and volunteer information including resumes (including educational background, work history, and references), cover letters, letters of reference, reference information, interview notes, letters of offer and acceptance of employment, policy acknowledgement documents, workplace performance evaluations, emergency and medical contact information, etc.; and
- Other personal information required for the purpose of our employment or volunteer relationship.
Consent, Use, and Disclosure of Personal Employee Information:
We may collect, use, and disclose personal employee information without consent if it is reasonable to collect the information for that particular purpose and, in the case of a current Employee, if before collecting the information, we have provided the individual with reasonable notice that the personal employee information is going to be collected and the purpose for the collection.
We may also disclose personal employee information about a current or former Employee of SDMTS to a potential or current employer without the consent of the individual if the disclosure is reasonable for the purpose of assisting that employer to determine the individual’s eligibility or suitability for a position with that employer.
6. Accessing, Correcting, and Safeguarding Personal Information
Access to and Correction of Personal Information:
An individual may request that SDMTS provide access to their own personal information or information about the use and disclosure of their own personal information. Where such requests are reasonable and SDMTS has record(s) containing that information, SDMTS will provide the requested access or information. However, SDMTS will refuse to provide access to personal information if the request is not permitted for reasons set out in the Personal Information Protection Actor other laws.
An individual may request that SDMTS correct an error or omission in their personal information under the control of SDMTS. If there is an error or omission in this personal information, SDMTS will correct the information as soon as reasonably possible and, if the incorrect information has been disclosed, provide a notice correcting the information where it is reasonable to do so.
A request to access or correct personal information must be made in writing. We will respond to your request within 45 calendar days unless an extension is granted.
Safeguarding Personal Information:
SDMTS will make reasonable efforts to ensure any personal information we collect, use, or disclose is accurate and complete.
We protect personal information in our custody and control through reasonable security arrangements to prevent risks such as unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, and destruction. Security arrangements include:
- storing paper records in locked cabinets that can only be accessed by those Employees who need the records to perform their work;
- ensuring computers are password protected;
- ensuring electronic information is only available by those Employees who need it to perform their work;
- protecting electronic information with passwords that are only available to those who need them to perform their work; and
- ensuring SDMTS Employees are informed about their obligation to protect personal information and sign an agreement whereby they agree to protect this information and keep it confidential.
We retain your personal information only for as long as is reasonably required for legal or business purposes. When the personal information is no longer required, we destroy the records containing the information by shredding paper documents and permanently deleting electronic records.
7. Questions and Complaints
If you have questions or concerns about SDMTS’s collection, use, or disclosure of personal information, or have a request to access or correct your own personal information, please contact our privacy contact individual:
- Trisha Gizen, President
- Swamp Donkey Musical Theatre Society
- PO Box 1226
- Bragg Creek, Alberta
- T0L 0K0
If you are not satisfied with the response you have received, you should contact the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Alberta:
- Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Alberta
- Suite 2460, 801-6 Avenue SW
- Calgary, Alberta
- T2P 3W2
- Phone: 403.297.2728
- Toll Free: 1.888.878.4044
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.oipc.ab.ca